Lessons in Nannying

This is not a post about me giving lessons (for I am hardly in a position to give advice given my relatively brief time as a nanny), rather it is a compilation of  my discoveries thus far.
I have been a nanny for a over a month now.
No, that is not a very long period of time, but it is significant enough that I have learned many things.
For instance, I found out that I love crunchy peanut butter.
Also, I have learned that I have more patience than I originally thought.
I learned that diapers are not full-proof and leaks happen. A lot.
I have learned that my toes and the legs of the baby bouncer do not get along... at all.
I have learned how to multi-task much better than my abilities allowed before I started this job.
I have learned that positive reinforcement works wonders.
I have learned that even if the child in time-out seemingly has no toys nearby with which to occupy their time in "solitary",  3 minutes later they have somehow acquired 50 of them without moving. My first thought when this happened was, "What is this sorcery?"  My second was the younger sibling, who was standing nearby with a goofy grin and guilty look in his eyes.
I have relearned how to channel my imagination, making up games to amuse and enchant the kids for a few hours.
I have seen the absolute and pure joy of a toddler who has discovered how much fun a water slide can be- and in that learned to appreciate the simple things.
I have learned how infectious that joy can be, when one child masters a task, or learns how to draw a shape, or can say "thank you" and "your welcome" in Spanish or who has been praised for doing something kind for a sibling.  It is like the greatest feat in the world has been accomplished and the child's eyes brighten with determination and merriment.
I have learned just how easily children can pick up on differences and nuances.
I have learned that "horsey" is the greatest game there can ever be and all other games eventually turn into horsey.
I have experienced the awkward, forward and unabashedly honest questions that no one but a child would think acceptable to ask.
I have learned that it is just not okay for me to be in college.  I either need to get married and have kids so they can have play dates, or stay with them forever.
On a more serious note, I have learned that no matter how many times I have held back exasperation when a tantrum erupts or wondered how such a small child can make such a big mess, that when they climb into my lap and cuddle or they look into my eyes with a smile across their face, or when they tell me they love me, my heart melts.
I have learned how to see Christ in these children, not only in the good moments, but in the times that they do throw a tantrum, make a mess, need punished, when I hold them in my lap while they cry after falling, and they cling to my shirt, when I pick up the baby after he wakes from his nap and looks at me with a grin and a giggle, or when he is inconsolable because he wants his mama and I am not her, when they pick flowers for me or draw a picture for me.
I have learned that in a single moment of time God can show me the beauty and uniqueness of these young souls and what an honor it is to spend my summer days with them.  It is fun, it is challenging, its not easy, but it is amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Only for Today

My Choice

Musings at Midnight...sort of