Love, True Love.

   Hello All!
   Well, it has been awhile hasn't it?  I apologize for not posting I just got caught up with life.  So much has happened. I've been able to talk with some great, holy people, and have some great moments with God.  Today though, I want to talk about love.

   Love. A word we often misuse. A word that gets lost in translation.  Do we really know what it means?
I could give you a dictionary definition, but we as Catholics, as Christians, as followers of Christ, have that definition written on our hearts, our souls. Often times He is hanging around our necks, on our walls, in our churches, in the Tabernacle.  The definition of love, is Jesus Christ.  He is our perfect model when it comes to Love.  He gave His life for damnable sinners, the very same who put Him up there on that cross. He even forgave them, forgave us.  If thats not love, what the heck is?

   We are called to live that very same love. It is daunting, grueling, hard, unyielding and downright painful at times.  Love, true love (did anyone else say that with the clergyman's voice from The Princess Bride?) is not easy to live out.  Because in this love we are called to forgive even the most horrendous wrongs, we are called to look past that person's flaws and look into their soul. With this Love, we cannot judge them any more.  We can't ignore their souls crying for help.  We cannot close our eyes to even the worst of men.  We are called to daily give our lives for them.  Not always literally but through small acts of self-giving.  We sacrifice ourselves for them, but oh, how rewarding it feels!

   How do we get this love? Who do we give it to?
This love can only come from one place, one Man: Jesus Christ.  One way: The Eucharist.  This is how we find that love.  When we receive Him, we receive His Love.  And that Love is always enhanced through the sacraments, especially Penance.  When we become a clean, whitened soul is when we become the vessel He wants us to be in order that His love may pour forth.

   Who do we give to?
Everyone.  This love is not meant for us to horde, but to release and share. Otherwise what good will we be doing?  Jesus said, "Go and teach the Gospel to all nations." The Gospel is His word, but it is also His love. His truth.

   First Corinthians 13: 1-9 says

 " 1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. 4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love."

We can do nothing without love.  Teach love, live love, and it will come back to you hundredfold   Nothing done in love, and with love, is done in vain.

Dear Lord:
Because love is patient: Help me to be slow to judge, but quick to listen, hesitant to criticize, but eager to encourage, remembering your endless patience with me.
Because love is kind: Help my words to be gentle and my actions to be thoughtful. Remind me to smile and to say "Please" and "Thank You" because those little things still mean so much.
Because love does not envy or boast, and it is not proud: Help me have a heart that is humble and sees the good in others. May I celebrate and appreciate all that I have and all that I am, as well as doing the same for those around me.
Because love is not rude or self-seeking: Help me to speak words that are easy on the ear and on the heart. When I'm tempted to get wrapped up in my own little world, remind me there's a great big world out there full of needs and hurts.
Because love is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs: Help me to forgive others as you have forgiven me. When I want to hold onto a grudge, gently help me release it so I can reach out with a hand of love instead.
Because love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth: Help me stand up for what is right and good. May I defend the defenseless, and help the helpless. Show me how I can make a difference.
Because love always protects and always trusts: Help me to be a refuge for those around me.When the world outside is harsh and cold, may my heart be a place of acceptance and warmth.
Finally, because love always perseveres: Help my heart continually beat with love for You and others. AMEN.


{And just for fun :) }


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Only for Today

My Choice

Musings at Midnight...sort of